[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Lua
. . -> [Subject]  os.date and %# not working

os.date and %# not working

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Balana   (3 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 22 Apr 2007 09:57 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 22 Apr 2007 10:19 PM (UTC) by Balana

I'm attempting to create an alias I can type that automatically creates a logfile and starts logging. (I want to be able to start logging when I start a RP without it logging everything.) Logging starts okay, the problem is just in the header (which I'm setting as the variable 'worldinfo')

<aliases>
  <alias
   match="start log"
   enabled="y"
   send_to="12"
   sequence="100"
  >
  <send>local worldinfo = GetInfo(2).." - "..os.date('%#x, %#I:%M %p')
local linelength
OpenLog(GetInfo(58)..[[Nabana\]]..os.date("%Y")..[[\]]..os.date("%m %d".."-r.txt"),true)
WriteLog(worldinfo)
linelength = string.len(worldinfo)
WriteLog(string.rep("-",linelength))
WriteLog()</send>
  </alias>
</aliases>

Here's what that header comes out as:

TLK Nabana - x, I:45 PM
-----------------------

I know I could also use '%A, %B %d, %Y' in place of %#x, and that works alright, but to my knowledge there's not an alternative for %#I (the hour without the leading 0). Am I doing something wrong, or is there a problem somewhere? (I'm using v 4.05 of MUSHclient.)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (23,000 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sun 22 Apr 2007 10:39 PM (UTC)
Inside "send to script" the %x already has a meaning, which is wildcard x, e.g.

%1 --> wildcard 1

So, if you want to use % inside something like os.date you have to double it, so that MUSHclient replaces %% by %, which should then work as you expect.

eg.

os.date('%%#x, %%#I:%%M %%p')

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sun 22 Apr 2007 10:51 PM (UTC)
I changed all of the % to %% just in case, but I was having no trouble with it saving to the correct place and coming up with the correct header for everything else. (%M and %p and such were printing as expected.)

At any rate, I gave os.date('%%#x, %%#I:%%M %%p') a try--same problem. Anything without a # works fine, but %%#x and %%#I don't seem to be evaluating.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (23,000 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Mon 23 Apr 2007 12:31 AM (UTC)
It appears that the documentation is wrong about the effect of the "#" modifier. I think that used to be correct but the behaviour of the underlying runtime library has changed, or possibly, I was wrong all along. :)

You will need to work around it a different way. Here is one possibility:

t = os.date ("*t")

print (t.hour)  --> 9
print (t.min)   --> 20 
print (t.sec)   --> 22

You can incorporate the various parts of the date into your filename (eg. by concatenating, or using string.format).

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Mon 23 Apr 2007 01:55 AM (UTC)
Ah, okay. :) The only problem with using os.date as a table is that it gives the hour in 24-hour format. Ultimately I found a workaround:

local hourz
if string.byte (os.date('%%I'), 1)==49 then hourz = os.date('%%I') else hourz = string.gsub(os.date('%%I'),"0",'',1) end

Basically it looks at the first number of the hour and if it's 1 it takes it, and otherwise it strips out the leading 0. I had to check for the first number so it didn't strip out the 0 in 10. When I want to use it, I just use the variable hourz. Thanks a lot for the clarification!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Mon 23 Apr 2007 03:32 AM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 23 Apr 2007 04:02 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

The only problem with using os.date as a table is that it gives the hour in 24-hour format.

You could always do this:

if t.hour > 12 then
  t.hour = t.hour - 12  -- 13:00 becomes 01:00 (p.m.)
elseif t.hour < 1 then
  t.hour = t.hour + 12  -- 00:00 becomes 12:00 (a.m.)
end 

Quote:

local hourz
if string.byte (os.date('%%I'), 1)==49 then hourz = os.date('%%I') else hourz = string.gsub(os.date('%%I'),"0",'',1) end

This looks too complicated for me. How about:

local hour = tonumber (os.date('%%I'))

Now, if the hour was "09" it gets converted into a number which, if you print it, comes out just as "9".

I think I have found why the function is not working as documented. The documentation for os.date says it works "like the C function strftime" - so I looked that up in the MSDN (Microsoft) documentation.

However it seems that the "%#I" feature is a Microsoft extension. Later on I recompiled the DLL under Cygwin, which gave a faster result (testing a big computation). However the runtime library that comes with Cygwin doesn't support the "#" option it seems.

On top of that, Lua 5.1.2 changed the way os.date worked internally so it would not process any modifying option. Thus it didn't recognise any 3-character sequences at all.

I have raised this issue with the Lua developers.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Mon 23 Apr 2007 03:52 AM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 23 Apr 2007 04:07 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

The Lua developers have responded that they are only supporting the C89 specifiers. A quick search reveals that these seem to be:

%a  Abbreviated weekday name    
%A  Full weekday name   
%b  Abbreviated name of the month   
%B  Full name of the month  
%c  Standard date and time string   
%d  Day of the month as a number  [01-31]
%H  24 hour clock   [00-23]
%I  12 hour clock   [01-12]
%j  Day of the year as a number   [001-366]
%m  Month of the year as a number   [01-12]
%M  Minute of an hour as a number   [00-59]
%p  AM or PM  
%S  Second of a minute as a number  [00-61]
%U  Week of the year as a number (Sunday being the first day of week 1)   [00-53]
%w  Weekday as a number (Sunday being the first day)  [0-6]
%W  Week of the year as a number (Monday being the first day of week 1)   [00-53]
%x  Standard date string ( locale date)   
%X  Standard time string ( locale date)   
%y  Year in numbers (excluding century)   [00-99]
%Y  Year in numbers (including century)   [1900-1999]
%Z  Name of Time zone (if one exists)   
%%  The percent sign

I have updated the documentation which will be shipped in the next version to reflect this.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

15,759 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]