[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  Problems creating a new character

Problems creating a new character

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Dralnu   USA  (277 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 15 Jan 2006 05:00 PM (UTC)
Ok, I don't know if this is TinTin or the codebase, but when I type new to create a new character, it gives me

Illegal Name, try another,
Name: Illegal Name, try another.
Name: Illegal Name, try another.
Name:

This I get this, but I can log onto my Imm without any problems. I get no errors upon compile, nor do I know of anything that could be causing the problem. Only thing I have done to the nanny code is add in the reroll snippet from Samson's Site, which shouldn't be bothering this I would guess. I'm going to see if I have telnet on here somewhere, and going to see what I can do with it.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sun 15 Jan 2006 05:05 PM (UTC)
Since you changed nanny, that's probably the cause. Go through the snippet again and make sure you did everything right. Also you could try reverting the code changes and see if the problem persists.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Conner   USA  (381 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Sun 15 Jan 2006 10:28 PM (UTC)
Course, it's also possible that somehow tintin is sending your new<enter> three times, does your client automatically enter the password if you type in your immortal's name?

-=Conner=-
--
Come test your mettle in the Land of Legends at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org:4000
or, for a little family oriented medieval fun, come join us at The Castle's Dungeon BBS at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org
or, if you just want information about either, check our web page at http://tcdbbs.zapto.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Sun 15 Jan 2006 10:36 PM (UTC)
I looked through the section dealing with starting a new char, and didn't see anything that would cause it to do that. As for tintin sending it three times, I don't think so. When I log on my imm, I enter the name, then the password. I looked through the alias/macros set as well, and now that I say that I just remembered speedwalk. lol. Entering 3 times, once for each letter: n(orth)e(ast)w(est). Lol. I'll look through tintin again and see if thats what is happening
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Sun 15 Jan 2006 11:25 PM (UTC)
I seem to remember someone wanting an alias recently that automatically converted speedwalks, even without the speedwalk prefix. This is an example of why that is a bad idea.

"new" is indeed "north" "east" "west" if you automatically convert it.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Mon 16 Jan 2006 02:43 AM (UTC)
I usually, when using zMUD or any other client, used the numpad for walking, and had an alias or macro for speedwalks (somewhere I think it was /w 2newu12s, or something like that). I rarely use speedwalk anyways, since my mud atm is kind of on the small side (I removed all but newdark, newgate, newacad, and the more or less required areas to leave myself with the minimum to have to deal with). Using a prefix to start speedwalk is one thing, but using just bare NeWs for speedwalk is kind of a stupid idea...
[Go to top] top

Posted by Daela   (1 post)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Tue 20 Jul 2010 12:46 AM (UTC)
I was having a similar problem and google sent me to this page. I am using TinTin with speedwalk turned on. I'd like to confirm that I turned speedwalk off and error went away.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Conner   USA  (381 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Tue 20 Jul 2010 10:19 PM (UTC)

-=Conner=-
--
Come test your mettle in the Land of Legends at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org:4000
or, for a little family oriented medieval fun, come join us at The Castle's Dungeon BBS at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org
or, if you just want information about either, check our web page at http://tcdbbs.zapto.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

20,261 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]